Monday, September 8, 2014

Spreading Book Love Through Little Free Libraries

Imagine a place where neighbors meet for the first time, children gasp with delight, and a community shares willingly and joyfully.  There is a place in my front yard where all of that happens, and the best part is, books are at the heart of it all.   

I learned about Little Free Libraries when my husband, who spends a lot of time reading on the Internet, shared the website with me.  After reading about the organization’s mission and worldwide success, I knew that I wanted to join the movement by building my own library and becoming a Little Free Library steward.  For one, I was excited about doing something that contributed positively to my community.  And of course, as a Librarian, Book Lover, and former Reading Teacher, I am also passionate about promoting literacy.  So, when I thought about building a cute little house and filling it with books that anyone could take, I could barely contain my joy.   

My husband and I chose to build our own library using the instructions that were provided on the website.  When it was ready, we held a “Little Free Library Grand Opening” party.  We invited all of our neighbors and friends to bring a book and fill the library as a community.  Since that party almost two years ago, it has been thrilling to see a constant exchange of great books happening in our front yard.  I can highly recommend joining the movement, and I look forward to spreading book love for many years to come! 

If you would like to learn more, go here: http://littlefreelibrary.org/
 
 

Guest Blogger,
Erin Bridges
MNPS Teacher-Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment