Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The Heart Wants What it Wants...

          Recently, I attended a Professional Development session that focused on Interactive read-alouds. At the training Mara Rockliff's book My Heart Will not Sit Down was shared and caused me to ponder that very phrase. As I begin this year at a new school there are many things that won’t let my heart sit down such as: establishing a rich literature collection, creating procedures that set the foundation for the year, and creating a student-centered environment. The list could go on and on however, what’s pulling my heart at this moment is the need to build and maintain collaborative relationships with both students and teachers. Not too hard, right?

Jerry Porras states “when you put together deep knowledge about a subject that intensely matters to you, charisma happens. You gain courage to share your passion, and when you do that, folks follow. This powerful, yet complex quote, articulates what I will aim to do each day as I begin to define and establish myself this school year.

I am convinced that librarians are some of the most passionate educators around. We believe in the power of reading, we hold on to the hope that all children will leave our schools finding a genre of books that interest them, we take great care to select high-quality resources, we understand and apply instructional design principals when creating lessons, and much more.

Nonetheless, the second part of Porras quote is one that excites, humbles, and challenges me. I desire my passion to cause teachers to follow me. I want my teachers to trust, witness, and share in my quest to bring not just books but learning to life.

                  So how will I make this happen?

  • Changing my title from librarian to teacher- librarian; causing teachers and students to recognize that I am not just a librarian, but I’m a librarian who teaches.
  • Communicate frequently, by writing a weekly newsletter, digital announcements, and/or class visits.
  • Ease-dropping, listen to what peeks students interest then surprising them with items in the library.
  • Volunteer, find opportunities teach a lesson in their classroom or with small groups.
  • Be courageous and make suggestions on how to enhance a lesson.
  • Most importantly I will share my passion, knowledge, and love for teaching and learning.


In closing, I pose the very question that tugged my heart: What is it that won’t let your heart sit down? How will you make it happen?

Blogger-
L.Brinson
Scholastic & School Library Journal School Librarian of the Year finalist
MNPS Librarian
@amquitigertales

No comments:

Post a Comment