Monday, January 4, 2016

What do you want to accomplish in 2016?

It seems hard to believe that it is already 2016! I seriously feel like I am just getting done with our new librarian orientation in August. As much as I am in shock about it being 2016, I always find the New Year a time of great excitement. It is a time for a clean slate to start something new, stretch your boundaries and make a difference. If you don’t know me, I have a weird love of goal setting, so each New Year’s Eve (much to the disgust of my husband), we reflect on both personal and professional accomplishments from the past year. I did the same this morning for Library Services.

2015 was a rockin’ year for MNPS Library Services when I reflect back on it. We updated our interview process, nominated librarians for local and national awards (a few won!), had over 50,000 students participate in DEAR (Drop Everything & Read), had amazing PD days and sent twelve librarians to various conferences! This doesn’t include all the Makerspace accomplishments we have seen around the district. 2015 is going to be hard to beat!

We also set department goals for Library Services, as I know that setting goals and vision for the next year is a non-negotiable.  Over the course of the next week, Library Services will survey librarians and other stakeholders to find out their needs and priorities for the rest of the school year. The infographic below has really helps me through the goal setting process- I set a bunch of goals both professionally and personally. The seven steps allow the goal setter to think big and then figure out a path to get there.
  • Brainstorm
  • Choose 3 major goals
  • Write your goals down
  • Break down your goals
  • Announce your goals
  • Keep your goals in mind


    I truly believe and insist on setting goals each year and I think librarians should embrace this as well.  It doesn’t matter if it is a big or small goal, everyone needs to have a vision on where they are going. I encourage everyone to think about your students, staff and stakeholder needs and how your goals support them. My goals are written in my handy notepad that I carry with me, so I can always check in on them- be sure to keep yours someplace handy.

    Happy New Year and I can’t wait to see what 2016 brings from MNPS Library Services and all the amazing school librarians out there!

    Blogger-
    Stephanie Ham
    Director, MNPS Library Services
    @sjgham @mnpslibraries




    No comments:

    Post a Comment