Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Get to know...Beth Ullinger!

Beth Ullinger is the librarian at Hickman Elementary School. Ms. Ullinger is famous at her school because she posts a joke or riddle outside the library door everyday and the kids LOVE it! And from what we hear she is amazing at trivia and you definitely want her on your team :)

Get to know me…
1.     If you could eliminate one librarian stereotype it would be that we are rigid and boring.  Our position in the school means we have to be flexible and take on a lot of roles.
2.     My favorite picture book is Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola.  But right now I’m enjoying Sheila Turnage’s books about Mo & Dale.  I love a good mystery!  I read every Nancy Drew book there was when I was in elementary school.
3.     I decided to become a school librarian because I love talking about good books and I love teaching kids.  I also really love research and finding out new information.  There’s something very satisfying about finding out more information on a topic that’s interesting.
4.     I would love to travel to Greece.  I’d love to see the Mediterranean Sea in person and visit the Parthenon and other ancient sites.
5.  I think life is better with a little humor.  I post a joke or riddle outside the library every day.  I love to hear the kids tell it to each other and laugh as they walk by.


Get to know my library…
1.     Some of my students' favorite library resources are PebbleGo and PowerKnowledge. My elementary students really love to read non-fiction material.
2.     You're happiest when your library is full of people.
3.     I would love to have new furniture in my library.  I’d love furniture that moved more easily and was built for the type of collaborative work we do these days.  I’d also love a circulation desk that could handle all the plugs and cords that go with all the technology.
4.     My library is busiest right after a vacation or a three day weekend.  The kids are so ready for something new to read!
5.     My library is quietest when the students are all at lunch and recess.
6.  I think every library needs a library clerk.  I have an amazing clerk, Brenda Williamson.  She keeps the machine running and I don’t know where I’d be without her!




No comments:

Post a Comment