Friday, April 15, 2016

Get to know...Evan Rayburn!

Evan is the librarian and soccer coach at JFK Middle School. He's been a MNPS librarian for almost 3 years and before that he created maps at Vanderbilt University!

Get to know me…
1.     My family includes… My wife Courtney (Spanish teacher at Central Magnet in Murfreesboro) and 2 sons Ollie (12) and Elijah (9).
2.     My secret talent is… I can remember every kid’s name at school. I never knew I could do this until I started working in schools.
3.     My favorite local Nashville spot is…Not in Nashville at all, I like to go to Mayday in Murfreesboro (I live in Rockvale).
4.     If you could eliminate one librarian stereotype it would be… All librarians are gray haired old ladies who want the library quiet at all times.
5.     My favorite book or author is… John Steinbeck East of Eden.
6.     My warning label would be… Don’t poke the bear.
7.     The literary character I most identify with is…Don Quixote – always chasing windmills.
8.     I would love to travel to…England. I’m a huge fan of English soccer and I would love to go to some of the iconic stadiums in England, especially Stamford Bridge.
9.  I think life is better with…love, fried tofu, and Summer Break!

Get to know my library…
1.     Some of my students' favorite library resources are… graphic novels and the online databases provided by Limitless Libraries.
2.     My biggest success as a school librarian has been… creating an environment in which the staff and students feel welcome and comfortable in the library. I have been able to dramatically raise circulation because of the atmosphere in my library.
5.     You're happiest when your library…is noisy because the students are collaborating.
6.     One way I collaborate with teachers…is on research projects for their students. I show the kids how to locate and evaluate credible sources, cite those sources, and use technology to present their findings.
7.     I would love to have new computers! in my library.
7.     The thing I love most about my library is…that on the advice of Jennifer LaGarde, I stopped thinking of it as my library. That really lowered my stress level.
8.     My library is busiest when… it’s the end of the quarter and students have projects due.
9.     My library is quietest when… it’s not usually quiet.
10.  I think every library needs… a champion to promote it!





No comments:

Post a Comment