Thursday, April 7, 2016

Get to know...Mark Hoesel!

Mark is the librarian at Shayne Elementary School and was voted by his peers as the elementary librarian of the year!

Get to know me…

1. My family includes… My wife Gayle, Son Sloan 5th grade, and Daughter Allison 3rd grade

2. My secret talent is…whitewater kayaking

3. My favorite local Nashville spot is…Percy Warner Park

4. If you could eliminate one librarian stereotype it would be…all elementary librarians are female

5. My favorite book or author is…A Severe Mercy Sheldon Vanauken

6. My warning label would be…naturally caffeinated

7. The literary character I most identify with is…Jack in the book series Magic Treehouse because I love adventure, traveling, and history.

8. I decided to become a school librarian because…I love children, teaching, and reading

9. I would love to travel to…New Zealand and Iceland

10. I think life is better with…Jesus

Get to know my library…

1. Some of my students' favorite library resources are…Ninjago, Minecraft, Lego, Barbie, Sonic, Pokémon, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Captain Underpants, Star Wars, Guinness Book of World Records, National Geographic Almanac, Junie B. Jones, Rainbow Magic, Kylie Jean, Mo Willems, dog books, snake books, shark books, dinosaur books, football books, I Survived series, Bone series, Amulet series, Who Was-Is series, What Was-Is series, and Big Nate to name a few.

2. One of my biggest libraries fails was…sending out too many emails

      2a. I learned…that too much information is overwhelming and is sent to the trash.

3. My biggest success as a school librarian has been…mobile library when the library is closed for schoolwide testing

4. I am happiest when your library…is a favorite destination for students and the first resource choice for teachers.

5. One way I collaborate with teachers…I am flexible and make myself available at a time and place that is convenient for them. If I can collaborate with one teacher on a grade level, I almost always draw in the rest of the team after they hear a first-hand account about the lesson.

6. I would love to have _____ in my library. In addition to a private bathroom , I would like to have a full-time therapy animal (dog, cat, or rabbit) that students could pop-in and read too. My father comes once a week with his yellow lab therapy dog.

7. The thing I love most about my library is…I love it when the library is used by students and teachers. I also really like the layout of my library. I like the wall of windows and the natural light. I love the new instructional room and the interactive flat panel. I love my library assistant. She is the BEST EVER!!!

8. My library is busiest when…between 8:30-11:30 and 12:30-2:30. We also get a bump when we advertise a large new shipment of books and Sadie my father’s therapy dog is in the house.

9. My library is quietest when…between 11:30 and 12:30.

10. I think every library needs…an enthusiastic librarian who loves people, children and adults alike.




No comments:

Post a Comment