Sunday, February 26, 2017

Meet new to MNPS, Librarian Laura Calverley

Let's get to know Laura Calverley, new librarian at Sylvan Park Paideia Elementary School!


1.  Tell us about your family/pets.
I live with my husband, my daughter, Audrey (3 years old), and son, Remy (7 months old).  We moved to Nashville last May from Tucson, Arizona, although I am originally from California.  We have a crazy red heeler mix named Bondi.

2.  Tell us about your professional background.
I started working in libraries when I was in high school and never stopped.  I became a librarian in 2008 and began my career with a brief stint working for UC Berkeley as an librarian in their Science and Engineering library.  I always wanted to work with young people, so I moved on to become a Teen Services Librarian for the San Mateo County Library system in the Bay Area.  After I relocated to Tucson, Arizona, I became the librarian for a small, independent school (grades 5-12) where I worked for 5 years.

3.  Why did you become a librarian?
I've always been drawn to libraries.  My favorite things in life are books, technology and helping people--all things librarian!
 
4.  What's your favorite book?
It's too hard to choose just one.  Some books that have touched my life are:  The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum, The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick, Looking for Alaska by John Green and The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.

5.  MNPS LOVES our librarians- tell us why you are thrilled to be a part of our team?
I am thrilled to be a part of such an accomplished and creative team of librarians.  When I go to our PD meetings, I always leave feeling energized and inspired.  I am also happy to be serving to help students in my community, getting books into their hands and teaching them about books, libraries and technology.
 
6.  What are you most excited about implementing at your school?
I'm very excited about a few things here at MNPS, but the Limitless Libraries program has been one of my favorites.  Connecting students to the wealth of library materials in the NPL collection is a joy.  I'm also very excited to be playing with the Maker Space in my library.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment