Saturday, April 8, 2017

Emmie Stuart, Librarian at Percy Priest Elementary School

Get to know me!

1.  My family includes...
Hank and Tracie (my parents), younger sister Kathryn (English teacher at Brentwood High) and younger brother Paul (CPA in Chattanooga).

2.  My secret talent is...
Oh goodness, I don't know if I have any hidden talents.  I can read pretty fast! And I have uncanny knack for remembering children's book titles and authors.

3.  My favorite local Nashville spot is...
The Warner Parks, my parent's house, Rosepepper's, and Parnassus Bookstore

4.  If you could eliminate 1 librarian stereotype it would be..
I hate the fact that most people think we just checkout books and shelve all day. Ha!

5. My favorite book or author is...
Favorite Books: Miss Rumphius, One Morning in Maine, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Anne of the Island 
Favorite Author/Illustrator: Barbara Cooney, C.S. Lewis, L.M. Montgomery, Robert McCloskey

6. The literary character I most identify with is...
(Haha, I love this question and always ask people which fictional characters describe them best)
My answer: Anne Shirley Blythe (From the Anne of Green Gables books) and Wendy Darling (From Peter Pan).

7.  I decided to become a school librarian because...
I had the privilege of growing up in a family that loved and valued books and libraries. My childhood was "storyformed" and I want to share the joys of reading and stories. Nothing is better than sharing books and stories with children. It is a humbling privilege and I KNOW that I have the best job in the universe. 

8.  I would love to travel to...
England! I'm going this summer and visiting all of my favorite children's literature locations. The Hundred-Acre Woods, Hogwarts, C.S. Lewis's house, Paddington Station, Kensington Gardens, etc.

10.  I think life is better with...
Books (obviously), lavender essential oil, vintage tennis shoes, and long walks in the sunshine.

Get to know my library!

1.  Some of my student's favorite library resources are...
Mo Wilems books, playaways, graphic novels, Caldecott Winners, NCAA and NBA books. I've also noticed that my beloved favorites become school favorites after I share them with the students. For example, I can't keep Barbara Cooney's Roxaboxen on the shelf.

2.  I am happiest when my library is...
Smelling like lavender, warm, somewhat tidy, clutter free(!!!), and full of happy students looking for books and working on projects.

3.  One way I collaborate with teachers is...
I love helping teachers teach tricky content matter in a way that is engaging and uses great books.

4.  I would love to have...
Some classic looking wood tables and chairs that are light and easy to move. Our tables and chairs are heavy, uncomfortable, and I'm not a huge fan of their appearance. Also, some red geraniums in the window.
5.  The thing I love most about my library is...
The huge windows and my storytelling/read aloud area.

6.  My library is busiest when...
Haha, it is busy in here almost all the time. Traffic is usually heaviest during the morning ELA block.

7.  My library is quietest when...
??? On the weekends.

8.  I think every library needs...
A librarian who loves children and books more than anything else in the world. An awesome book collection, windows, and lamps are the next most important things.

No comments:

Post a Comment