Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Jessamyn Gray, Librarian at Stratford STEM Lower Campus

Get to know me!
1.  My family includes...my husband J.P. who also works at Stratford, and my kids, Owen who is a 7th grader at Bellevue Middle and Elliot who is in 3rd grade at Westmeade. We also have 2 cats named Lola and McGee and just last week we adopted a puppy named Gizmo. Out of the 7 of us I’m pretty sure Gizmo is the one in charge of the household.

2.  My secret talent is...finding lost books. I love the challenge of finding a book that is missing or lost!

3.  My favorite local Nashville spot is...the parks, especially Edwin Warner.

4.  If you could eliminate 1 librarian stereotype it would be...I have stopped wanting to eliminate the stereotypes and have decided to just embrace them. Bring on all the cats, cardigans and Out of Print clothing!

5. My favorite book or author is...There are too many to count. I mostly read YA and MG so my current fave would have to be The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. I will read just about anything though if left alone with a book.

6. The literary character I most identify with is...Dorothy from the  Wizard of Oz. I’m a Midwest girl trying to navigate a different landscape (the South) while meeting new and wonderful people on my journey. I also have a pair of excellent red Dorothy heels:)

7.  I decided to become a school librarian because...I loved working at the public library but the relationships I’ve built at the schools is by far the best reason  to work with students.

8.  I would love to travel to...anywhere with sunshine and bookstores.

9.  I think life is better with...Cheerios. I know I should have a deep philosophical answer but it wouldn’t be honest.

Get to know my library!

1.  Some of my student's favorite library resources are...Limitless Libraries. Our students love having the option of a massive selection of books and movies. It’s empowering for them to navigate the entire collection.

2.  I am happiest when my library is...busy and students are sharing their favorite books.

3.  One way I collaborate with teachers is...taking time to stop into their classrooms and provide mini lessons related to library services because I recognize they are sometimes too busy to come into the library.

4.  I would love to have...more hours in my day and endless caffeine to finish generifying the collection.

5.  The thing I love most about my library is...that students from all grade levels (5th-12th) come to us as a safe place. We have worked tirelessly this year to create a place where students feel welcome and safe.

6.  My library is busiest when...we have related arts classes being held and students are coming in to check out.

7.  My library is quietest when...we have a brief moment during morning announcements when it gets quiet, otherwise the library is busy!

8.  I think every library needs...a variety of spaces for students to fit all their needs—comfy couches, quiet study rooms, even a big chair in the sunlight for a quick cat nap. We keep an extra chair in our office where students know they can come sit if they need a time out, shoulder to cry on or to share good news with us.





No comments:

Post a Comment