Laura Hartley (L), Librarian at Waverly Belmont
Also pictured Stacey Cleghon (R), Library Clerk at Waverly Belmont
Get to know me!
1. My family includes...my husband, Todd, (we've been married for 10 years this year), my son Zeke, who just turned 17 months, and our little boy who will be here in June!
2. My secret talent is...hmmm. If I told you, it wouldn't be a secret anymore!
3. My favorite local Nashville spot is...Any of the parks.
4. If you could eliminate 1 librarian stereotype it would be...that the library has to be a quiet place. Of course, we all know that is not how it is anymore!
5. My favorite book or author is...How do you choose just one?? Some of my favorite chapter books are El Deafo, Brown Girl Dreaming, and Wonder. (Maybe I'll read an adult book again one day...)
6. The literary character I most identify with is...The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Being pregnant, I feel like all I do is eat, eat, eat!
7. I decided to become a school librarian because...I wanted a change of pace from being in the classroom. I had this fabulous librarian at the first school I taught and she really showed me what all a school librarian does. She helped me out so much when I first started teaching...supporting me, my students and even co-teaching together. I always say she inspired me to look into being a librarian. She is retired now, but you may know her...Jana Whittle.
8. I would love to travel to...anywhere! People say you get the travel "bug" and I think I definitely got it in high school. I've traveled to 18 countries (including living in Dubai for two years) and can't wait to travel more! Todd, Zeke and I just went to Canada over Spring Break and our next big trip will be to return to Europe next summer to visit some friends.
10. I think life is better with...a cup of coffee, sunny days, and lots of time to relax by the beach or pool.
Get to know my library!
1. Some of my student's favorite library resources are...Limitless Libraries, of course! Some books that are constantly checked out right now: all of Mo Willems (Kinder is doing an author study in class), riddle books, (thanks School Library Challenge), Raina Telgemeier books and Dav Pilkey's Dogman.
2. I am happiest when my library is...busy! I love having students and teachers use the space in many, many ways!
3. One way I collaborate with teachers is...I am always asking teachers what they are working on in class and try to suggest resources, books, or lessons that I could teach to enhance student learning.
4. I would love to have...more time! More time to plan, more time to spend with students, more time to meet with teachers and collaborate!
5. The thing I love most about my library is...It truly is a beautiful space. We are lucky to be new and have tall windows and lots of updated resources. Oh, and of course, the students!
6. My library is busiest when...We've been closed for testing or right after a break. I love seeing that flood of kids come in desperate to get a new book!
7. My library is quietest when...we have testing.
8. I think every library needs...an assistant. I have one this year and it's been a game changer. Not only does she allow students more access to books because she can physically be there to check out, but she has been an amazing help to me in so many ways that I didn't even know I needed help! Being in the library can also be somewhat isolating...what "team" do I belong to? I now feel like I have a team of two for sure! What did I ever do without her?