Laura Youmans, Librarian at Oliver Middle School
Get to know me!
1. My family includes my husband, Rick and my dog, Bob.
2. My secret talent is not a secret, but I have read almost all the fiction books in our library and I can book talk any of them at the drop of a hat which greatly helps with students’ book selections when they come for checkout.
3. My favorite local Nashville spot is Avo-because it is vegan.
4. If you could eliminate 1 librarian stereotype it would be the unhelpful shusher.
5. My favorite book or author is...Tove Jansson, Betty Smith, and Dr. Seuss/P.D. Eastman.
6. The literary character I most identify with is Little My from Tove Jansson’s Moomin series. She’s crafty and mischievous.
7. I decided to become a school librarian because I wanted to share my love of reading.
8. I would love to travel to anywhere, but I especially love New York because of the plethora of vegan restaurants there.
10. I think life is better with dogs and vegan food.
Get to know my library!
1. Some of my student's favorite library resources are...Me, because I help them find good things to read; Oliver’s Instagram, @olivermiddlereads; and the Limitless Libraries site.
2. I am happiest when my library is full of students!
3. One way I collaborate with teachers is...I went to a workshop on making Edible Cars last year at a MNPS Librarians’ PD day that was fantastic. I ended up collaborating on this project with our 6th grade teachers last year and I am excited that they would like to do it again this year!
4. I would love to have laptops and a couch.
5. The thing I love most about my library is that it is warm and welcoming to all.
6. My library is busiest when 1st thing in the morning before school starts when I have students using computers, sitting and relaxing, doing homework, checking out, ordering from Limitless, printing projects, etc.
7. My library is quietest at dismissal.
8. I think every library needs an enthusiastic Librarian!