Nancy Hammons, Librarian at McGavock High School
Get to know me!
1. My family includes one husband Randy, two adult children Stephen and Amelia, their spouses Kayla and Matt, one beloved grandson Beaux, and one extremely spoiled Buddy the Boxer.
2. My secret talent is the ability to read books while attempting to cook and do housework.
3. My favorite local Nashville spot is McNamara’s.
4. If I could eliminate one librarian stereotype it would be the one where librarians run around “shooshing” patrons and generally making them feel unwelcome.
5. My favorite author(s) are: all time fav: C. S. Lewis and favorite YA author: Ruta Sepetys
6. The first chapter book I read as a child was Charlotte’s Web, so I identified with Fern, back then. Actually, I wanted to be Fern and live with a talking spider and raise a pig. Now, when I read most books (since most of the books I read are YA), I rarely feel that I identify with any character myself since I am older. I often find myself seeing some of our students here as characters in books I’ve read.
7. I am passionate about helping students discover the world through reading and helping them become more information literate.
8. I would love to travel to Italy, but I would love to see more of Europe in general and anywhere else someone would send me for free!
9. I think life is better with really good food—not junk food, like Big Macs and fries—not necessarily “clean” and “healthy” food, but well-prepared, fresh, tasty food. Especially chocolate. All kinds of chocolate. And coffee, lots of coffee!
Get to know my library!
1. Some of my students’ favorite resources in the library are DVDs, and our Graphic Novel collection. If it could be included, we are also constantly showing kids how to use test prep on the Tennessee Electronic Library.
2. I am happiest when my library is full of students who are either reading, booktalking amongst themselves, or busily collaborating on any meaningful project, making use of print and online resources.
3. One way I collaborate with teachers is that I see them working on something or talking to another teacher about a project and tell them, “I can help with that…”
4. I would love to have an endless supply of consumable materials for our MakerSpace. And more littleBits!
5. The thing I love most about my library is the layout.
6. My library is busiest when it’s lunch—everybody wants to be here during lunch.
7. My library is quietest when I first come in the mornings.
8. I think every library needs a digital presence.