Tuesday, April 4, 2017


Susan Schmidt, Librarian at Glencliff High School

Getting to know me!

1.  My family includes...  Daughter Angela, son Drew, 3 rescue cats – and the 2 kids from next door most days.
2.  My secret talent is…  making tofu taste delicious.
3.  My favorite local Nashville spot is... DeSano Pizza – I LOVE PIZZA and theirs is perfection! Plus they have the best cannoli in Nashville.
4.  If you could eliminate 1 librarian stereotype it would be... that librarians have an easy job and don’t do anything.
5. My favorite book or author is... David Sedaris – Parts of Naked made me laugh out loud.
6. The literary character I most identify with is... Hermione – I grew up around a bunch of guys and they always included me in their adventures but I had to be the voice of reason lots of times.
7.  I decided to become a school librarian because...  I had taught chemistry for 20 years and wanted a change but still wanted to teach and work with students and I wanted to get the good books first.
8.  I would love to travel to... Prague. I hear that it is very walkable and there is so much history and a beautiful library there.
10.  I think life is better with... family and friends close enough that I can spend time with them often.
 
Getting to know my library!

1.  Some of my student's favorite library resources are... graphic novels, culture grams, pop culture universe and they love flipping through the large coffee table books we got this year.
2.  I am happiest when my library is... full of students – reading, researching, working on projects at tables, having lunch and chatting softly with friends.
3.  One way I collaborate with teachers is... I try to become friends with the new teachers – they always welcome a little help and I can take their idea and make a webquest or libguide and co-teach then word gets around and others come in wanting the same or something like it.
4.  I would love to have... a maker space with green screen, digital camera, microscope (especially a microscope), 3D printer to go along with my crafting materials.
5.  The thing I love most about my library is... the way it is organized – very open with lots of comfy seating areas and the bookshelves on all 4 walls so you are surrounded by books.
6.  My library is busiest when... projects are due – some on computers, some working in groups at tables.
7.  My library is quietest when... right after the morning announcements before classes arrive.
8.  I think every library needs... a great collection, to look attractive and welcoming, to serve as a safe space for everyone, and a librarian who will do whatever it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment